When: Starts Tuesday, May 23rd and runs for four Tuesdays until June 13th
Level: Professional Development
Cost: €150 (€135 for IWC Members)
We’ve all experienced examples of both great and poor facilitation and come away feeling, at best, inspired and resourced and, at worst, frustrated and unmotivated. But facilitation is a skill like any other, and with the right mindset, tools, and practice, it’s a skill that anyone can master. Focusing on the five 4s of facilitation (People, Preparation, Process and Practice), this interactive and practical course will give writers the opportunity to learn the foundational skills of facilitation, which can be used when delivering any kind of creative writing workshop.
Run as through The Writers Centre, as part of their new Meridian Programme. Book your place through the Irish Writers Centre website.
- You as facilitator, your strengths and unique style
- The participants, their learning needs and styles
- Individual and group dynamics, managing challenging behaviours
- Designing your course or workshop
- Aims and objectives. Content, tone, and pace
- In person or remote, practical tips for delivery
- Marketing your workshop
- What is the learning journey?
- Managing expectations, building rapport and trust
- Listening and questioning skills
- Mechanisms for feedback and evaluation
- In-class practice of key skills with supportive and constructive peer and self-evaluation
Participants are encouraged to keep a learning journal, and there will be some additional work to do between classes. Slides are made available after each session.
Participants will come away from this course with an understanding of the components of great facilitation and the tools and resources needed to develop this skill with confidence.
Anne Tannam is a Professional Certified Coach (PCC) who helps writers to design and sustain flourishing writing practices. Anne has over 35 years of experience teaching, facilitating, and coaching and regularly runs workshops and clinics online and across the country. For more on Anne’s coaching, visit www.creativecoaching.ie.
Anne has published three poetry collections, the latest ‘Twenty-six Letters of a New Alphabet’ was published with Salmon Poetry in July 2021. With the support of a Literature Bursary from the Arts Council of Ireland, Anne is working on her fourth collection. For more on Anne’s poetry, visit www.annetannampoetry.ie