Tomorrow a new year begins. Hard to believe, isn’t it? (we say that every year, but it’s true every year!)
Here’s a few tips to increase our chances of setting and achieving realistic goals for a happier and healthier self for the year ahead:
- Our brains are programmed to respond to positive commands. For example, a resolution that states: ‘I want to be fitter and healthier in 2019′ works better than ‘I need to lose weight in 2019’.
- Even better, fool the brain into thinking it’s already working by saying ‘I am fitter and healthier in 2019’
- Flesh out the goal as much as you can. Identify how you are going to be fitter and healthier. Break it down into weekly and monthly targets.
- Identify what might hold you back, and what supports are needed to overcome challenges that may arise.
- Build up a complete a picture in your head of how you will achieve your goal, and what the benefits are. Your brain can then work tirelessly to help you make it happen.
Here’s to all our adventures in 2019 and the learnings and opportunities that will come our way.
Anne is a Dublin based creative coach and poet. Visit www.creativecoaching.ieto find out more about Anne’s services.